Achieving quick, seamless cutting performance while ensuring accurate outcomes is vital. A lot of times we don’t know where to start and which miter saw to use. Well, look no further. The double bevel miter saw maximizes the efficiency and accuracy of your cuts.
Its blade angles adjust to both the right and left as compared to the single bevel saw. It is flexible and can rotate its saw head on a fulcrum towards both sides. Identical bevel cuts are achievable without turning the workpiece around.
This is a dream come true for contractors and enthusiasts alike. If you need to be efficient and improve your workflow, you are in the right place.
What is a double bevel miter saw used for?
The double miter saw is used for accurate cuts in every direction. It enables you to make faster repetitive cuts on short or longer workpieces. This is a significant advantage.
To expand on this, you can crown molding projects and other similar projects with trim. The blade angles of a double-bevel miter saw can shift to both the right and left sides.
Moreover, due to its flexibility, one does not need to reposition the workpieces. It is a great tool that can be used to achieve precision and accuracy.
As observed, it has a lot of advantages that are crucial to industry applications. This is important when precision is required. These woodworking applications may include; doors, windows, and other furniture elements. This is done by positioning a mounted blade onto a board.
For increased efficiency, as mentioned above, it is placed at different angles. It is then lowered onto a fence which can be described as a board positioned against a backstop.
We know that the miter saw’s primary function is woodworking applications. However, it can also be used to cut masonry, metal, and plastics.
How to use a dual bevel miter saw?
- We need to first determine the diameter of the blade you will use; they come in 8 to 12 inches. In turn, this will determine the width and thickness of the material you are working on can be. Because there are bevel cuts on both ends of the single board, you will need to ensure that you make accurate cuts.
- The second step is to determine the amount of power that you need your dual bevel miter saw to work with. This is known as the amperage rating of the electric component. If you need a bevel cut on both ends of a board, you must reset the miter saw for an opposite bevel cut. This can be achieved through the angle gauge found on the miter saw.
- Inside your workroom, set up a stand or a table where you will conduct your project. Ensure you are comfortable reducing stress and strain when working. Another crucial factor is understanding the dual bevel miter saw requirements. This should be before diving into operations to avoid overloading your electrical circuits.
- The next step is identifying an angle indicator and scale found on the saw’s front end. You should also be able to locate a power switch, a blade gun, saw tilt scales, and the saw’s locking clamp. Place it in the working area.
- You should place the stock on the saw bench, and for the blade to travel, you will need to unlock the dual bevel miter saw. Before turning on the machine, we recommend that you lower and raise it before it turns on. This will familiarize you with the blades’ paths when they sow through the stock. This will reduce accidents that may otherwise be prevented when working.
- You then need to test if the dual bevel miter works. This is done by securely placing scrap material against the saw’s bench backrest. This allows it to be held without moving during the operation. Check that the blade angles adjust to both the right and left sides.
- You should be able to cut different angles on the piece of material used for the operation. And test to see the results by fitting them together. You will then note that the blade begins cutting the stock almost at its edge. Before cutting, you will need to use an angle square to measure your workpiece all the way across.
- With everything set, you can begin conducting the operation on a workpiece. Make angled cuts while switching the blade angles from left to right. You can further experiment with the various functions. The dual bevel miter saw is well-equipped to achieve awesome functions. Practice your hand movements. This will, in turn, enable you to grasp the entire procedure when applying the saw to complete a project.
Safety tips while using dual bevel miter saw
- Protect your face and, most, your eyes by wearing safety glasses.
- It is also crucial that you wear the recommended hearing protection.
- If required, ensure that you wear safety boots to avoid being hurt by falling objects.
- Ensure that you have securely clamped the dual bevel miter saw on the workbench. Conduct the operations at waist height.
- These adjustments should be made only when the machine is off.
- One hand should be placed on the trigger switch. Your other hand should operate and hold the stock against the fence.
- Always ensure that you keep your hands a safe distance away from the saw blade as prescribed in the manual. Keep your hands from the sides of the blade.
- The guard should be kept in place and should be operational.
- The wrenches should be removed as well as the adjusting keys.
- It is also essential that you work on one workpiece at a time.
- Unintentional start-ups are a common problem for beginners. It is crucial that the dual bevel miter saw switch is always off.
- Never operate this saw when it is on the ground to avoid injuries.
- It is crucial that your footing and balance are observed at all times.
- Remove all flammable materials and fluids from your workspace when operating the saw. Sparks may ignite fumes.
- To avoid getting shocked, do not work in a damp place. Electricity and water are a dangerous combination.
- Operate the tool in a way it was designed to instead of stressing it. Carefully read the manual.
Pros and Cons of Double Bevel Miter Saw
Here are some of the advantages of the dual bevel miter saw
- Increased Load Efficiency. Unlike the single bevel, a miter saw, can increase load efficiency by taking on more work. As such, you can carry out multiple projects simultaneously. This is due to its bevel cuts moving from one direction to another. It is a significant benefit for contractors when working on crown molding projects.
- Meeting Deadlines. With the dual bevel miter saw, you can reduce the time needed to work on a project. This reduces the cost of production. This means that strict deadlines can also be achieved seamlessly.
- The precision with Cuts: Like any other machine, precision is a crucial outcome if we are to invest in it. The dual bevel miter saw achieves high precision when making cuts. This allows precise matching cuts on each side of the material being worked on.
However, despite its working performance, this saw also has some disadvantages;
- The double bevel miter saw is more expensive than the single, dual bevel miter saw. Thus, before purchasing from any brand, it is crucial to consider its ROI (Return On Investment). As such, it is recommended for contractors or enthusiasts with a high level of commitment. This is because it is craftily designed for professional craftsmen.
- Complexity in Usage. The dual bevel miter saw is complex. This is true, especially for first-time users who have never operated a bevel miter saw before. It has more extensive capabilities designed for specific and unique projects.
What to Consider before choosing a double bevel miter saw?
Blade Size and Intended Use
The blade size is critical when selecting a double bevel miter saw. In the current market, the most common blade sizes are 8, 10, and 12 inches. Depending on your project’s requirements, you can choose the blade sizes above. Make sure they meet your specific needs. You should never use a blade size that contradicts the one recommended in your manual. It is unsafe and reduces the machine’s efficiency.
Corded vs. Cordless
There are two types of double bevel miter saw; corded and cordless. You may choose either depending on your preference. However, it is crucial to understand that a corded dual bevel miter saw is more powerful than a cordless one. It can also handle larger projects. On the other hand, the advantage of a cordless double bevel miter saw is that it offers flexibility. It can also be used anywhere.
The motor power of a dual bevel miter saw is also an important consideration. Most have 10-, 12- or 15- amp motors. Depending on the scope of your projects and the size of the material being worked on, motor power may vary.
When purchasing a dual bevel miter saw, it is recommended that you go for one with built-in blade guards. This ensures maximum protection. The blade is only exposed as it moves towards the wood.
A trigger brake reverses electricity flow in the motor upon trigger release. Without it, the blade will continue spinning for more than 10 seconds on some dual bevel miter saws. It is therefore important to check one when buying. Ensure that it stops in 2 seconds when the trigger brake is held.
An excellent dual-bevel miter saw should have a great dust collection system. It should be able to suck up more than 80% of sawdust produced during a project.
It is recommended that when purchasing a dual bevel miter saw, you should select one that has a laser guide. This laser guide marks the blade’s path across the workpiece.
A dual bevel miter saw with a depth saw is preferable as it allows you to set the cut’s depth automatically. This feature will enable you to cut a groove in the workpiece without cutting through.
Some double bevel miter saws come with holes that allow you to bolt them to your workbench. However, others come with a miter saw stand. This feature enables the saw to be held securely while cutting a material.
Some Other accessories
There are other accessories to check when purchasing this type of saw. They include; sliding fences, flip fences, non-slip grip, and clamps.
What is a double bevel angle?
A double bevel angle is produced when the blade is tilted at a specified angle from vertical. It is the angle from the blade’s side to the cutting edge of the double bevel miter saw. It can also be defined as an angle cut relative to the face of the workpiece. This includes angled cuts along the entire side of the material or cuts at the material’s end.
A double bevel cut changes the blade’s vertical angle, ceasing to remain square to the base. This angled cut is made through the thickness of a board.
What is the difference between a bevel and an angle?
A bevel is defined as the angle that one surface or line makes with another when they are not at 90 degrees. The edges formed have an angle of fewer than 90 degrees. They are often identified in workpieces. They can be found in cabinets, furniture, and mirrors, to mention a few.
On the other hand, an angle is defined as the figure in which two are at the vertex. It is therefore formed when these two straight lines are at this common endpoint. Moreover, they are measured in degrees as they are a measure of a turn. This is the difference between a bevel and an angle.
Is a double-bevel miter saw worth it?
Undoubtedly, the double bevel miter is worth every penny spent. It has an excellent Return On Investment value when utilized practically and efficiently. It makes your job easier and quicker, helping you meet deadlines.
What are the differences between single and dual bevel miter saws?
There is a significant difference between these two types of bevel miter saws. The single bevel miter saw can only cut a bevel in one direction, usually to the left. The dual bevel miter saw can on the other hand move to both the right and left directions. You do not need to reposition the workpiece.
What is a dual bevel sliding miter saw?
The double bevel miter saw maximizes the efficiency and accuracy of your cuts. Its blade angles adjust to both the right and left as compared to the single bevel saw. Due to its flexibility to rotate, its saw head is on a fulcrum towards both sides. It cuts without turning the workpiece around.
The dual bevel miter saw is an efficient tool for woodworking. It can also be used for cutting other materials. It increases load efficiency while reducing the time required to complete the project. deliverables can be met quickly and precisely. Hopefully, you’ve found some good tips before purchasing a dual bevel miter. Make sure you find one that meets all your preferences. Once you decide, ensure you calibrate the miter saw before using it. What do you look for the most when purchasing a dual bevel miter saw? Tell us about it in the comments below!